Page

[Tips] My Cleaning Routine + uBook

Friday, 11 August 2017

When it comes to household chores, it is a never ending struggle, especially with two young kids at home most of the time. Over the years, I have come to realise that the best time to tackle the household chores is in the morning when the boys are in school. That also means I have only about 2 hours to finish what I need to do before fetching them from school. This includes chores, meal prep and homelearning prep. The afternoons are spent playing, homelearning and going for classes. I also try to squeeze all the chores to the weekdays so the weekends is freed up for outings and family time.

Today, I am sharing 5 tips that I found useful in making full use of my morning time to get the house at least 'clean enough'.

1. Cleaning Schedule


Before I realised the pros of having a cleaning schedule, I simply did my chores based on my feelings. Sometimes I would spent time thinking what I need to do and ended up scrolling on social media. Sometimes, I don't even have the motivation to start at all. On some days, I just want to get all the chores done and try to squeeze as many cleaning into the day as possible. At the end of the day, I felt burnt out and this was not sustainable.

Then, I realised that a cleaning schedule can help to make things easier. It allows me to quickly know what I need to do each day, so I do not need to spend so much time thinking what needs to be done. Having a list also gives me some sort of motivation to get things done.


Here's my simple daily cleaning routine. To make it less over-whelming, I only include the chores that need to be done on a regular basis in the morning. So, I just need to look at the list, get the chores done and I am done for the day!

2. Doing Laundry First


On laundry days, the first thing I do upon waking up is to throw a load of laundry into the washing machine and get it going. While I am busy with the morning routine and getting the boys ready for school, the clothes are being washed! By the time I got back home from school, the laundry is done and ready for me to hang them up to dry. We don't have a dryer, so I always pray for good weather when the laundry is out drying.


3. Swiping


Staying in the western part of Singapore means our house getting dusty quite easily. Just vacuuming is not enough as the floor still feels dusty. That means I will need to mop to wipe up all the dust. No way am I going to have the time to do both vacuuming and mopping everyday!


Swiping is what I call the combination of sweeping and mopping. I'm totally in love with the Super Mop from 3M. It can be used wet like a mop and picks up dust effectively. Which means I can have clean floors with half the time! It takes me about 30 minutes to swipe through the whole house.

4. Clean Up After Using


There are also some essential chores which need to be done everyday which I did not include them in my morning cleaning schedule because these are chores that we do after we are done using. Examples are wiping down the kitchen counter and washing of bathrooms.

For the kitchen counter, I will wipe down every time after our lunch. I do not need to cook dinner as we are blessed to be able to have dinner over at my mum's.


For the bathrooms, we only use the common bathroom and seldom use the master washroom. Hubby make it a point to wash the common bathroom everyday after his shower. Families with young boys will know how badly they aim.

This habit of cleaning up after using saves valuable time as we do not need to specially set aside time to get these chores done.

5. Get a Part-Time Helper


Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, time just doesn't seem to be on our side. In this case, one might want to consider getting help from other parties. When Small J was still a baby, we did engage a part-helper to help out with the chores. I was too overwhelmed with nursing, taking care of a small baby and a young preschooler. Having an additional help really helps to calm down the chaos at home and we are able to spend more time with the family.

I have mentioned in a previous post that we are using the services from uBook.  (Read more about our experiences here). Ever since I have engaged the help from uBook, my household chores load has been reduced. My friendly helper will come over once every two weeks to help with the more time consuming chores.

My biggest relieve is having uBook to help me with my 2 weeks load of ironing. (I really dislike doing ironing!) Previously I have to do this over the weekend or at night and I'm really relived that I do not have to do a huge load of ironing now.


Apart from ironing, the helper also does all the basic cleaning, such as vacuuming, mopping, dusting and cleaning out both bathrooms. Of course, she also helped with the wiping of shelves and the higher cabinets. This means that I can take a break from my daily cleaning when help is here!


As I mentioned above, we only clean the common bathroom on a regular basis. For the other bathroom, we seldom use it and it is usually dry. For that, I will leave it to uBook to clean it once every two weeks. Once a month, I will also ask the helper to help with the cleaning of the windows and grills. Last time, we only do this once every 6 months!


For the past few months, I had experience with different helpers from uBook. They are friendly and reliable. During their first visit to my house, I only need to inform them what are the chores that need to be done, tell them where the cleaning tools are and they will get cleaning straight away. At the end of the session, the chores are done and my house gets cleaned!


Getting a part-time helper is really useful for tackling the more time-consuming chores and chores that are not done so frequently. If you are interested in getting a part-time helper, do check out my previous post to find out more about uBook and the services they provide.

When it comes to household chores, what is your strategy for handling the never ending work?

uBook

Operating hours: 8am to 7pm
Contact/SMS/Whatsapp: 9898 7339
Email: enquiry@ubook.com.sg
Web | Facebook


Disclaimer: We were sponsored cleaning sessions with uBook for the purpose of this review. No monetary compensation was involved. All opinions, texts and photos are mine, unless otherwise stated.

If you enjoyed reading this post, please feel free to share it with your friends. I would be glad if you could follow me on Facebook or Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...